Friday, April 15, 2011

Refurbished Sofa Table

I found this vanity at a yard sale for $5. It was just the right width for a sofa table, and I have always wanted a sofa table, so I snatched it up. It has sat in the garage for a while, but I finally got it going!

I didn't take pics during, I should have because it was funny! You can see that some kid wrote all over it, and some of it was written in fingernail polish. That stuff did not want to sand off. Also, the top of this thing is some kind of wood/plastic combo, and THAT wouldn't sand off, either. I started off sanding the whole thing, as good as I could. Then I painted the whole thing white, and gave is some sanding to distress it. I didn't like it. It looked like something you would put in a baby's room, too bright white. It needed some dimension. Also, that pink showed through some, and also this must have been green at some time because I had some green showing through as well.

I thought I would try wiping some dark stain on then wiping it off for the dimension I wanted. This worked on the real wood parts, but that top didn't look right. As soon as the stain got on, it wasn't budging. I thought, I am going to have to paint the whole thing white again, so why not cover it with stain, then paint, then sand?

If any of you have done this before, please don't laugh at me! This was my first attempt at something more than just painting and distressing. I was having fun though!

So I did the stain, then I brushed the paint on kind of patchy like, not full coverage. This was the only way I could get the top to look right, since it wouldn't sand off. Then I distressed it just a little, and bought new clear knobs for the front.

So here is the before...

And the after....




What do you think? I like it. I kind of wish I had sanded down a little more, but I was worried that pink and green paint would show itself again. I will take pics with it all decorated.



Some of you have asked to see pics of the house; they are coming. I wanted to finish some decorating first. I am going to take pics this weekend.

1 comment:

MelisaH said...

I LIKE it! looks pretty amazing for $5! good job Gina!