Saturday, September 5, 2009

Running the Gap, 10K

I ran my 10K today, and I feel great! I felt great while running, and I feel great now. My time was 1 hour, 6 minutes and 12 seconds. I was amazed to find out that my time was only 10 minutes short of placing! I'm sure I would have run faster if I had known that would happen; but I really though placing was such a long shot, that I just ran comfortably. I did step up my pace at the end. My goal was to finish in less that 1 hour 15 minutes, so I did pretty good, for me!

And I totally thought I would have to stop and walk for a bit here and there, like I usually do when I run 5 miles outside of a race.

Something happens, however, when you are in a race. You are motivated like nothing else, and you find a little extra in yourself. I didn't walk at all! I ran the whole time, pacing myself so I wouldn't get too tired. 6.2 miles in a race is nothin!

And what a gread reward at the finish line, to see my daughters, husband and mom cheering me on. That makes me want to cry!

My goal next year is to do the 1/2 marathon. Judging by how I did today and how I feel right now, I don't think that is such a stretch. I can't wait!

This is a great race, well organized with lots of free stuff at the end for kids to do. I got a meal for free, and all the drinks I could want. The Running the Gap marathon will be in it's 11th year next year, and they know how to put on a great race.

Come with me next time!

2 comments:

Ramsey said...

What a WONDERFUL accomplishment Gina! What a amazing example you are to your girls!!

Shalean said...

Good job on your run!! You have come a long way with running this summer. Makes me a little more motivated to get on the road and work harder. My race is in 2 weeks and it has been really hard to push myself cause I am getting so burned out with running this summer. Thanks for the extra motivation!